The career in MBBS is very rewarding career for those who are interested in Science and dealing with sick people. This profession requires a lot of hard work and gives the satisfaction of curing patients from sickness. Its also a type of research oriented job since, new diseases are sure to hit the stage and you need to be prepare for every challenges that comes your way.
Please refer to these tabs below to have the general understanding about the course
Course Duration: 4.5 yrs. + 1 year intranship (KU/TU/BPKIHS) or 5 yrs. + 1 yrs. intranship (PAHS)
Academic Progress: Year
Estimated Cost: 15-40 lakhs
The selection for MBBS is done through different institutions examination and the qualification required for entrance is 10+2 or equivalent with Science(Physics, Chemistry and Biology) subjects. The student intending to study this course must score a combined score of 50% or above in PCB.
There is a great demand for medical professionals and it is increasing with the unfortunate upsurge of diseases and ailments day by day. Also many super specialty hospitals are mushrooming offering employment opportunities. Some of the places where there is job scope for medical professionals are as follows:
- In Government or private hospitals
- In Nursing homes/clinics/health departments
- In medical services of the army, navy and air force, under the Ministry of Defense
- In charitable institutions
- In medical colleges and training institutes as teachers
- In research institutes and medical colleges as researchers
- In the industrial sector
- Private practice/ self employment
And, some of the career options are:
- General Practitioner or Physician
- General Surgeon
- Anaesthetist or Anaesthesiologists
- Ophthalmologist or Eye Specialist
- ENT specialist
- Tuberculosis Specialist
- Community Medicine
- Forensic Medicine
- Obsterics & Gynaecology
What after this ?
After MBBS, post graduate level studies (MD or MS) can be conducted and there are many specializations including General Medicine, General Surgery, Paediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Dermatology, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat), Psychiatry, and Anesthesiology. There are also options for deeper specialization through Ph.D in any area of medicine.