Nepal Government, Ministry of Education implemented the letter grading system in SLC from 2072 B.S. The door of TSLC programme is open for those students who have appeared in SLC exam and achieved any GPA and any grade in each subject. Focusing on such students the curriculum of TSLC of 29 months and 15 months have been converted into 18 months to create uniformity among different TSLC programme.
This curriculum is designed to produce basic level human resources in the field of Civil engineering equipped with knowledge, skills and attitude necessary for this level of technicians so as to meet the demand of such technician in the country.
The title of the programme is TSLC in Civil Engineering.
The aim of the programme is to produce competent human resources in the field of Civil Engineering who can work in infrastructure development and reconstruction sector.
After completing this curriculum program, the graduates will be able:
1. Provide services as a basic level technician in the field of civil engineering;
2. Conduct detailed surveying works for the establishment of small scale rural water supply and hill irrigation scheme;
3. Develop drawing of small rural water supply scheme, small scale irrigation structures and minor residential building;
4. Supervise civil construction works such as building construction, water supply, road and trail bridge in growing infrastructure development industries, government institutions as well as national and international organisation;
5. Create self-employment opportunity to reduce the unemployment problems this helps to alleviate the poverty in the country
Programme Description :
This programme is based on the job required to be performed by the Sub-Overseer in the construction sectors. It is related to construction engineering, technology of building construction, water supply and irrigation, sanitation, road and trail bridges sectors. The curricular program consists of one year in house training and six months on the Job Training.
Similarly, the On-the-Job Training (OJT) for 6 months insists on the application of learned skills and knowledge in formal setting as well as the provision of OJT is also included to establish a linkage with employers and provides hands on work experience to students that promotes employability. Moreover, OJT takes place immediately after completing yearly final examination.
Course Duration :
This course will be completed within 18 months (40 hrs./week × 39 weeks = 1560 hrs.) class plus 6 months (40 hrs./week × 24 weeks = 960 hrs.) on the job training (OJT).
Entry Criteria :
Individuals with following criteria will be eligible for this program:
- SLC with any grade and any GPA (Since 2072 SLC).
- SLC appeared (Before 2072 SLC)
- Pass entrance examination administered by CTEVT
Group Size :
The group size will be maximum 40 (forty) in a batch.
Medium of Instructions :
The medium of instruction will be in English and/or Nepali language.
Patterns of Attendance :
The students of should have minimum 90% attendance in theory classes and practical/performance to be eligible for internal assessments and final examinations.
Instructors’ Qualification :
- Instructors should have Bachelor Degree in Civil in Engineering.
- Assistant Instructors should have Diploma in Civil Engineering.
- Practical Assistant/Teaching Aid should have TSLC in Civil Engineering with 3 years’ experience.
- Good communicative/instructional skills
Teacher and Student Ratio :
- Overall at institutional level: 1:10
- Theory: 1:40
- Practical: 1:10
- Minimum 75% of the teachers must be fulltime
Instructional Media and Materials :
The following instructional media and materials are suggested for the effective instruction, demonstration and practical.
- Printed media materials (assignment sheets, handouts, information sheets, procedure sheets, performance check lists, textbooks, newspaper etc.).
- Non-projected media materials (display, models, photographs, flip chart, poster, writing board etc.).
- Projected media materials (multimedia/overhead transparencies, slides etc.).
- Audio-visual materials (films, videodiscs, videotapes etc.).
- Computer-based instructional materials (computer-based training, interactive video etc.)
Teaching Learning Methodologies :
The method of teaching for this curricular program will be a combination of several approaches such as;
- Theory: lecture, discussion, assignment, group work, question-answer.
- Practical: demonstration, observation, simulation, guided practice and self-practice.
- The marks distribution for theory and practical tests will be as per the marks given in the course structure of this curriculum for each subject. Ratio of internal and final evaluation is as follows:
SN Particulars Internal Assessment Final Exam Pass % 1 Theory 50% 50% 40% 2 Practical 50% 50% 60%
- There will be three internal assessments and one final examination in each subject. Moreover, the mode of assessment and examination includes both theory and practical or as per the nature of instruction as mentioned in the course structure.
- Every student must pass in each internal assessment to appear the final exam.
- Continuous evaluation of the students’ performance is to be done by the related instructor/ trainer to ensure the proficiency over each competency under each area of a subject specified in the curriculum.
- The on-the-job training is evaluated in 500 full marks. The evaluation of the performance of the student is to be carried out by the three agencies; the concerned institute, OJT provider industry/organization and the CTEVT Office of the Controller of Examinations. The student has to score minimum 60% for successful completion of the OJT.
The grading system will be as follows:
Grading Overall Marks
Distinction 80% or above
First division 75% to below 80%
Second division 65% to below 75%
Third division Pass aggregate to below 65%
Certificate Awarded :
The council for Technical education and vocational training will award certificate in “Technical School Leaving Certificate in Civil Engineering” to those graduates who successfully complete the requirements as prescribed by the curriculum.
Job Opportunity: The graduate will be eligible for the position equivalent to Non-gazetted 2nd class/level 4(technical) as Civil Sub-Overseer or as prescribed by the Public Service Commission.