- European Conv. on HR and FF (ECHR) (1950).
- European Social Charter (1961).
- European Conv. for the Prevention of Torture
- and IDTP (1989).
- European Charter for Regional & Minority Languages (1992).
- Framework Conv. for the Protection of National Minorities (1995).
- European Conv. on Exercise of Childrens Rights (1996)
- European Conv. on Human Rights & Biomedicine (1997)
Europe: CoE System – Institutions
- Head of CoE Secretariat
- Serves as depository for ratifications, reservations, renunciations
- Receives collective complaints under Europ. Social Charter
Committee of Ministers
- Primary decision-making body
- Consists of foreign ministers or
- deputies of member States
- Executes Court judgments; considers new applications; monitors compliance; adopts resolutions.
Europe: European Union System
European Court of Justice (ECJ)
- Highest court interpreting EU law
- Initially reluctant to address HR issues but had to reconcile EU provisions with rights of nationals
- European Court of HR (CoE) and ECJ
- Overlaps jurisdictionally; may have conflict
Impact of EU System in HR
- Pioneer in economic rights, incl. labor regulations
- Strong work in combating discrimination
- Regional authority on social rights
Top comments (0)