The US Education Foundation in Nepal (USEF-Nepal or the Fulbright Commission) has announced that applications for the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program for the years 2022-2023 are now available.
Approximately 850 foreign scholars from over 100 countries get scholarships to undertake post-doctoral research at U.S. schools for a semester to a full academic year.
During Academic Year 2022-23, the award will be used to conduct post-doctoral research at a US university or for Nepali artists to pursue an artistic project at a US university, museum, or other cultural institution for a period of six to nine months.
Thousands of scholars have benefited from the Fulbright Visiting Scholars Program, which has allowed them to form collaborative research and/or artistic relationships with US scholars or artists, improve scholarly publications and other contributions by incorporating research and/or artistic practice conducted in the United States, and establish professional contacts in their field and form long-lasting friendships with colleagues in the United States.
Post-doctoral researchers return home personally energized and professionally motivated after conducting research, guest teaching, and pursuing other scholarly interests in a completely different setting.
For senior artists, the grant is an opportunity to broaden their professional and artistic networks, or to gain skills and expertise in a specific aspect of artistic practice, as well as to share Nepal’s rich and diverse cultural and artistic heritage and contemporary art practice with American colleagues and communities.
Women, minorities, those with impairments, or candidates who are otherwise disadvantaged, as well as those with limited prior overseas experience, are urged to apply.
The selected scholar will receive
- J-1 visa sponsorship
- J-1 visa compliant health benefits
- round trip international travel to the United States
- a modest stipend to cover living expenses, settling in, and professional development allowances
- a monthly, modest dependent allowance including air travel (if dependent stays with participant for more than 80% of the program duration)
Additionally, awardees will be invited to participate in Fulbright Scholar Enrichment Activities and the Fulbright Outreach Lecturing Fund.
Fellows will become part of a large, active global network of Fulbright alumni who will continue the effect of their life-changing Fulbright experience far beyond their exchange programs.
Award Length and Dates
- The 2022-2023 grant is for a minimum duration of six months and a maximum duration of nine months
- The earliest a scholar should plan to start is September 1, 2022
- The latest start date is May 31, 2023
- Scholar must return after completion of program by December 31, 2023
Application deadline: November 21, 2021