Physics XII Content
Short answers question
1. Can sounds waves be polarized? Explain.
2. Is polarization possible for longitudinal waves? Why?
3. Light waves can be polarized. What about sound waves? Explain.
4. What is polarizing angle? Does it depend on the wavelength of light?
5. The polarizing angle for a transparent medium is 600. What is the refractive index of the medium?
Long answers question
1. Distinguish between a plane polarized and unpolarized light.
Show that: tan p=n
n=refractive index of the medium
p=angle op polarization of polarizing angle.
2. What do you mean by polarization of electromagnetic waves? Discuss the polarization of light by refection and show that , where the symbols have their usual meanings.
3. What is polarizing angle? Derive the relation between the polarizing angle and the refractive index of the medium.