Political Theory and Thoughts Content
Criticism of Machiavelli
- Might makes right, necessity knows no law, the end justifies the means is not always successful and true principle.
- Men are not always ad and born bad.
- If man is not wholly good, he is not wholly bad either.
- The prince cannot be hypocrite at the long time. Once it could be disclosed and revolution could easily be invited.
- Machiavelli himself was a power-monger and he made his prince the same which could spoil the state, people and all.
- Only force is not the weapon to rule the people so his idea was psychologically weak.
- There should be to some extent the moral values in politics. They cannot be separated totally.
- His claim of his method based on history and reason does not seem as used by him. It seems controversial.
- He is the forerunner of the theory of nation state.
- Plato: Emphasis on City State
- Cicero: Emphasis on Universal State
- Machiavelli: Emphasis on Nation State