NRB: Computer Content
It is Physical Component of a System.
Main Computer Components
We can categorize hardware components into three broad categories:
- Input devices
- CPU, the Central Processing Unit and
- Output devices
- Storage devices or Secondary Memory [For Backup]
Types of Storage devices
i) Primary Storage
- Read-only Memory (ROM)
- Random Access Memory (RAM)
ii) Secondary Storage
- Punching Device
- Magnetic Tape
- Floppy Disk
- Optical Disk
- Hard Drive
- Flash Disk
RAM and ROM
The Main memory of a computer is used to store programs and data. The processor cannot store the whole program and needs its main memory to store the parts of the program.
Types of Main Memory
Random Access Memory
The program is stored Temporarily while the computer is on. The contents of RAM is lost when the computer is switched off.
Read Only Memory
The data and programs are stored Permanently.
Secondary Memory/External Memory
Floppy Disk, Hard disk, CD ROM, DVD, Zip Disk, Jaz Drive, WORM, magnetic tapes etc are secondary memories used to store data. These memories are also called backup memory because these memories are used to store data for future application. Nowadays, operating system, and other software, business data and information are stored in CD ROM.
1. What do you mean by hardware? What types of devices are used in bank to keep the record of customer?
2. Differentiate between primary memory and secondary memory.
3. What is the use of secondary memory in bank?