English XI: Magic of Words Content
Newspaper Article | Creative Writing Section
How to select Newspaper Heading
The one thing that can make or break a newspaper article is the headline. A good newspaper headline is concise, informative and, at times, entertaining. When you write a newspaper headline, your goal is to hook the reader into reading the article. Writing a headline for your article is easy, if you follow these steps.
1. Reread your article; identify the underlying theme.
2. Express the theme in an active voice using as few words as possible. Active verbs lend immediacy to a story. If a reader sees a headline written in a passive voice, he or she might glance right over it.
3. Keep your headline in present tense.
4. Keep it simple. A headline is a short, direct sentence without extra adjectives or adverbs.
5. Provide enough information in the headline to give the casual reader an impression of the entire story.
Tips & Warnings
· Don’t try to be overly witty.
· Make sure you don’t misrepresent the story by choosing a headline that doesn’t cover the main subject of your piece.
· Make sure the headline can stand on its own.
· Always lead with the latest information, even if the story happened yesterday. This also lends a sense of immediacy to the story.
How to write a Newspaper Article
Follow this step by step guide to a good article:
1. Decide what your article will be about.
2. Research the topic of your article.
3. Write your article using the template below.
4. First paragraph: In the first few sentences, answer these questions!
5. Grab the reader’s attention by using an opening sentence which is a question or something unexpected!
6. Now, give the details. It is always a good idea to include one or two quotes from people you interviewed. Write in the third person (he, she, it or they). Be objective. Use active verbs so the reader feels things are really happening!
7. Last paragraph: Round off your article. Try ending with a quote or a catchy phrase!
8. Proof-read your article and edit where needed.
9. Spell-check your article!