Public International Law Content
Privileges and Immunities of States
Immunity of State from being prosecuted or sued in foreign court
• Two types of immunities.
– Immunities ratione materiae (subject-matter or functional immunities), eg state immunity.
– Immunities ratione personae (personal or status immunities), eg diplomatic immunity, immunity of head of state, immunity of head of government, immunity of minister for foreign affairs
• Why immunities to states?
– Equality and independence of states.
– An equal has no authority over an equal.
– To ensure the proper functioning of foreign state officials and diplomats.