Private: International Organizations Content
The Economic and Social Council
- The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) is the UN’s welfare council, which coordinates the economic and social activities.
- It seeks to build a world of greater prosperity, stability and justice.
- It organizes major international conferences and prepares draft.
- The Economic and Social Council, coordinates the economic and social work of the United Nations and the UN family of organizations.
- As the central forum for discussing international economic and social issues and for formulating policy recommendations, the Council plays a key role in fostering international cooperation for development.
- The Council has 54 members, elected by the General Assembly for three-year terms. It meets throughout the year and holds a major session in July, during which a special meeting of Ministers discusses major economic, social and humanitarian issues.
- Each year the General Assembly elects, its one-third, that is 18 members for a period of 3 years