Chemistry XI Content
Electronic Theory of Valency and Bonding
1. What is Lewis base? Give its examples.
2. What is Lewis acid? Give its examples.
3. Distinguish between a covalent and a co-ordinate covalent bond.
4. Hw does a covalent bond differ from an ionic bond?
5. What types of bonds are involved in oxygen and calcium fluoride molecules?
6. What is octate rule? Name the compounds which donâ€™t obey Octet rule.
7. Why water is an excellent solvent for a polar substance?
8. Define Hydrogen bond. How is it originated?
9. Why does water have such a relatively high boiling point?
10. Why is solid sodium chloride a non conductor of electricity?
11. Why are metals malleable and ductile?
12. Define dipole moment. What is its unit? Mention its application.
13. Discuss the formation of potassium chloride and carbon tetrachloride molecules on the basis of electronic theory of valency. Give any two characteristics of ionic and covalent compounds.
14. Write short notes on Resonance.
15. Give an example of intermolecular and intramolecular hydrogen bond.
16. What is meant by metallic bond?
17. Each carbon-oxygen bond in CO2 is polar but CO2 molecule is non-polar. Give reason.
18. Write one important property of the compound formed by the two atoms x and y whose valence shell electronic configuration are 3S1 and 3S23P5 respectively.
19. Give reasons:
a) Ammonia has higher boiling point than Phospine.
b) CO2 got linear structure while H2O got angular structure.
c) HCl has polar character though it has covalent bond.
20. Write down the lewis structure of following compounds: