Private: Sociology Content
Detail theory of John Locke
- Wrote Two Treatises on Government.
- The first treatise is concerned almost exclusively with refuting the argument of Robert Filmer’s Patriarcha, that political authority was derived from religious authority, also known by the description of the Divine Right of Kings.
- The second treatise contains Locke’s own constructive view of the aims and justification for civil government.
- Believed that people entered into society to protect their “life, liberty, and property”.
- Thomas Jefferson, the author of the Declaration of Independence, admired Locke.
- The government’s main job is to protect the citizen’s property.
- If they government is not providing you with protection for your property you have the right to revolt.
- Justified the American Revolution