Travel & Tourism XI Content
Types of Tourism
- Mass Tourism: It is the most recent phenomenon of the modern tourism. This concept emerged along with the concept of paid holiday. It focuses on more no. of tourists instead of selective or elite tourists. The development of air ways and sea ways has helped to travel many people at once. Many travel agencies focus on package-tourism due to many people.
- Village and Urban Tourism: In village tourism, all activities are concerned within village. A village is selected as a model village. A few guest room and kitchen are developed without disturbing the village environment. Urban tourism focuses on city tourism where big hotels and restaurants are developed.
- Cultural Tourism: It is related to the tours to culturally rich places. The tours are arranged to provide knowledge on culture, religion, beliefs, attitudes, social behaviors and so forth.
- Adventure Tourism: It involves three basic components; an element of risk, higher level of physical involvement, and specialized skills to participate. For e.g. rafting, trekking, bungy-jumping etc.
- Conference Tourism: Big business-homes, multi-national companies, government etc organize meetings, conventions, conferences that make people visit different places and countries.
- Eco-Tourism: This type of tourism is the need of modern era. This type of tourism is organized in natural environment and the tourists observe man-nature relationship.
- Recreational Tourism: It concerns with recreational activities, mostly centralized in big cities. For e.g., casinos at Los Angeles, Night Clubs at Bangkok etc.
- Health Tourism: This type of tourism was in more demand in late 19th century. People visit different places for better health and refreshed mind.
- Sustainable Tourism: This concept emphasizes on public participation. It does deal with the study of carrying capacity of the earth.
- Historical Tourism: It focuses on visiting historically important places like museums, monuments, archaeological areas and so forth.
- Domestic and International Tourism: Domestic tourism focuses on earning local currency while international tourism focuses on earning foreign currencies.
- Ethnic Tourism: This type of tourism is concerned with organizing tours to visit many indigenous communities and native people of the places.
- Business and Leisure Tourism: Business category includes tourists visiting for business purposes while that travel for holidays are the leisure travelers.